Makes 5 Servings
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 parmesan rind (1-by-3 inches; optional)
- 30oz canned white beans, drained and rinsed
- 6oz kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 pound ground hot Italian sausage, rolled into bite-size meatballs
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- optional: top with additional parmesan and ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 4-5 quart pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, rosemary, and a generous couple pinches of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften (about 6 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste and garlic. Cook until fragrant (less than 1 minute).
- Immediately add the broth, and parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the sausage meatballs, cook for 5 minutes then flip and cook an additional 5 minutes. Drain any excess oil or fat.
- Add kale, meatballs and beans. Cook for 4 more minutes.
- Stir cider vinegar into soup.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated parmesan and freshly ground black pepper.
Thanks to the original recipe found here.