Makes 3-4 Servings
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound jumbo shells, cooked al dente
- 15 ounces ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan, shredded
- Additional parmesan, shredded
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange onion and butternut squash in an even layer on a lined baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat. When sausage is mostly browned, add spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is wilted and remove from heat.
- Place roasted butternut squash and onion in a food processor or large bowl. Puree with processor or immersion blender.
- Stir in milk and vegetable broth.
- Pour butternut squash sauce into base of a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together ricotta, parmesan, and egg. Add sausage and spinach into ricotta and stir until evenly distributed.
- Fill cooked pasta shells with 3-4 tablespoons of filling.
- Arrange shells in butternut squash sauce in the 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil followed by 15 minutes uncovered.
- Option to serve with additional parmesan.
Thanks to the original recipe found here.