- 2 med/large butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped (honeycrisp or pink lady)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 425° degrees F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut open each butternut squash lengthwise so you have 4 long halves. Scoop out the seeds and strings, then drizzle with 2 Tbsp of the oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt and pepper.
- Place halves face down on the baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until softened (check at 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook sausage into the skillet until almost done.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the fresh herbs and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in the kale, apples, and pecans, and cook for another minute or two until just softened.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cranberries, and season the mixture to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Once the squash is done, allow it to cool until you are able to scoop out the squash, leaving about 3/4” border around the sides and bottom.
- Stir the scooped out squash into the sausage mixture.
- Generously fill the sausage mixture into the squash boats.
- Place filled squash boats onto the the baking sheet and broil on high until the top of the stuffing and squash are golden brown, 2-4 minutes or so.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
Thanks to the original recipe found here.
2 thoughts on “Sausage, Apple, & Cranberry Stuffed Butternut Squash”
This looks really delicious.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Dorothy! This certainly is at the top of my list for fall favorites. The butternut squash mixed with the cranberries, apple, pecans and fresh herbs really compliment one another. I hope you enjoy!