- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 habanero peppers, stemmed and ribs removed, or to taste
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 scallion
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
CHICKEN & VEGETABLES
- 5 pounds boneless skinless chicken
- 3 red beets, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 3 turnips, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- To prepare the marinade, place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken legs into a large ziplock bag. Add marinade to the ziplock bag and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight (flip occasionally to ensure chicken is fully coated).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the vegetables, oil, salt, and pepper in a 9×13-inch baking pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, toss vegetables and add thyme, return to the oven and roast for an additional 25 minutes. Meanwhile, remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator and let the chicken begin to come to room temperature.
- Once vegetables are done, shake excess marinade off the chicken and place them on top of the vegetables. Return the pan to the oven and continue roasting at 375°F until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. (cooking times will vary, I recommend checking temperature after about 30 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Note: Consider serving this dish with cilantro, lime, and black bean rice!
Thank you to the big community of food visionaries out there in the world, working together to inspire and pass on food traditions and flavors. The recipe found on this page started Seasoned, by John Whalen III.