- 1 pound elbow or shell noodles (or your favorite variety)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup fontina cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- optional: red pepper flakes, chopped chives
- Start by making sure your ingredients are ready to go because this is a quick recipe that you should monitor as it is cooking to ensure the noodles are well cooked and the cheese melts so that it is nice and creamy. Note: a food processor can be used to quickly prepare the freshly grated cheese.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, bring 4 cups of water and 2 teaspoons of salt to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to medium high and add the pasta and cauliflower. The water should still be boiling but too much heat may cause your noodles to stick. Cook and stir occasionally for about 8 minutes. The pasta may not be completely done cooking yet but that’s okay.
- Keeping the water in the pot, stir in the milk, cream cheese, mustard, garlic powder, and onion powder (option to add crushed red pepper flakes here). Continue cooking until the cream cheese has melted and the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the butter and cheeses until melted and creamy. Consider adding 1/4 cup heavy cream to add a bit more richness to the dish. Remove from the heat. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Option to top with fresh chives, and additional salt and pepper to taste.
*Any nutritional information provided is an estimate. The accuracy for any nutritional information on this website is not guaranteed.
Thank you to the big community of food visionaries out there in the world, working together to inspire and pass on food traditions and flavors. This recipe began here!
One thought on “Creamy Cauliflower Mac and Cheese”