- 2 med/large butternut squash
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped (honeycrisp or pink lady)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat your oven to 425° degrees F and prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut open each butternut squash lengthwise so you have 4 long halves. Scoop out the seeds and strings, then drizzle with 2 Tbsp of the oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt and pepper.
- Place halves face down on the baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until softened (check at 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook sausage into the skillet until almost done.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add in the fresh herbs and continue to cook for another minute.
- Stir in the kale, apples, and pecans, and cook for another minute or two until just softened.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cranberries, and season the mixture to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Once the squash is done, allow it to cool until you are able to scoop out the squash, leaving about 3/4” border around the sides and bottom.
- Stir the scooped out squash into the sausage mixture.
- Generously fill the sausage mixture into the squash boats.
- Place filled squash boats onto the the baking sheet and broil on high until the top of the stuffing and squash are golden brown, 2-4 minutes or so.
- Garnish with additional fresh herbs, salt, and pepper to taste.
Thanks to the original recipe found here.