- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pound ground grass-fed bison
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 4 hamburger buns, wheat, white, or seeded
- optional toppings: romaine lettuce, cheese (pepper jack or cheddar), avocado, pickles, tomato, onion (raw or cooked)
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Meanwhile, make the spiced ketchup. In a small saucepan, combine ketchup, vinegar, garlic, and pepper flakes in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Take the sauce off the heat and stir in the basil.
- Shape the bison meat into 4 (1/2 inch thick) patties.
- Place fennel on grill rack and grill, turning occasionally until lightly charred and tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Place patties on grill rack and grill 4 minutes. Grill about another 4 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Remove burgers from grill to a clean plate. Place buns cut side down on grill rack and grill until lightly toasted (1 minute).
- Place bottoms of buns on 4 plates. Top each with the burger, fennel, spiced ketchup, and any additional toppings, finishing with the top bun.
Calories Per Serving: 324 Cal
*Any nutritional information provided is an estimate. The accuracy for any nutritional information on this website is not guaranteed.
Thank you to the big community of food visionaries out there in the world, working together to inspire and pass on food traditions and flavors. This recipe began in the Weight Watchers: Family Meals book.