- 1 lb hot sausage, ground
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 oz container chicken broth
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 whole-wheat lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces
- 6 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the sausage, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Stir occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the noodles and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring to break up the noodles for 10-12 minutes. Check to make sure noodles are cooked.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in mozzarella, basil, and Parmesan.
Italian Salad and/or Garlic Bread
Thanks to the original recipe found here.
The Story Behind the Recipe
There are a lot of things I could say about this recipe, but mainly I would like to share that it is a hit with everyone. When I was watching my calories and still craving Italian food, this was one of my favorite dishes. I still make this recipe at least twice a month in the cooler months because it is quick and warms the soul.
During a period of time when my husband and I were transitioning out of the military, we stayed with my family. I made this meal for them and it became a family favorite. My father requested it often and my younger sister asked me to teach her how to make it.
Feel free to add your own spin to the recipe or make it as is and hopefully it will become a family staple.